Wednesday 17 August 2016

My hijab experience

Salam alaikum brothers and sisters,

Today I want to share my first experience wearing a hijab. I can’t be serious all the time, sometimes it’s nice to share experiences as well. So, I will be talking about how I started wearing a scarf as well as a few things I learnt reflecting back on the experience.


The first time I put a scarf on my head was probably when I was about twelve years old. It was time I was still doing “fine girl no pimples”. I was growing up and I thought that I was the best thing that happened since slice bread and butter. During that time, I was very stubborn but I guess it was a normal phase adolescents pass through. *Do note that I am not stubborn now but I am very strong willed.*

I remember my mum back then started to link my bad behavior with the fact that I didn’t cover my hair. She would say ‘you are acting like this because you think you are fine eh? Why won’t you be stubborn when you don’t cover your hair?’ Then, slowly my dad started to talk about wearing a scarf too. I, on the other hand was naturally unbothered by what they said. I kept telling myself that nobody could force me to do what I did not want. I would only put on a scarf whenever I decided I wanted to do so!

One random weekend my parents went out and they returned with hijabs and scarfs. I was shocked, but I shoved it aside, and thought that they were merely stepping up their threats. Slowly but surely, the weekend passed and it was time to return to school. My dad walked up to me and said contact17 take this scarf. Usually, I would argue but the look on his face said it all. The matter had been decided and I would wear the scarf. 

I remember thinking that day- what would people say? How will people react? I look so ugly in this thing. No one will like me. People will talk about me. People will laugh at me, but reverse was the case. I received support from many people and a few not so good remarks from others but that is expected.
On my second day wearing a scarf, I MADE the decision to keep the scarf on and I ask Allah to make it keep me on that.Amin.

 I am not going to lie; the first two weeks were the hardest, not because of people, but because of me. I had to fight battles within me. I had to fight ugly whispers (waswas) from shaytan. I had to get used to seeing myself in a scarf and having positive thoughts about myself. I had to realize that the scarf does not change much about me and that I was still beautiful inside out. It took about a month before I finally fell in love my scarf. It has become a huge part of me ever since and I could not be more proud.
Wearing a scarf made me realize that sometimes, changing old habits can be difficult but a lot of it has to do with ones’ self. One’s own thoughts and mindset.

 I am not denying that society makes it difficult to make changes, but sometimes we just need to be confident and brave enough to take those steps. After all, Allah said in the Qur’an that whoever gives up something for his sake, he would compensate him with something better.

Why does it matter what people say? People will talk regardless of what a person does! I was created to neither serve nor please people. I was created only to serve the one who created me. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)”[al-Dhaariyaat 51:56].

The one who sustains me, because on that day when the earth has been crushed and mountains have become like a mirage, nothing will save me except his mercy.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “No one’s deeds will ever admit him to Paradise.” They said, “Not even you, O Messenger of Allah?” He said, “No, not even me, unless Allah showers me with His Mercy. So try to be near to perfection. And no one should wish for death; he is either doing good so he will do more of that, or he is doing wrong so he may repent.” [al-Bukhari, Muslim]

I  really want to emphasize on the beautiful advice bolded. Nobody is perfect. We can only try and when we make mistakes, we should acknowledge and repent. We remain sinners at the end of the day, but the best of the sinners are those who repent.

Jazakhallau khiran
Author: Contact17

Do you wear a hijab? If yes,what was your experience like? If not, what's stopping you?

To get your experience published, do mail us at thatislamictalk.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment